Currently: Director of Regulatory Affairs at Arcadia Biosciences, Inc., Davis, California.
Previously at Monsanto, Seminis Vegetable Seeds, Iowa State University, Calgene, Plant Genetics Inc. and University of California Berkeley.
Married to Janet (44 years) with three children and their spouses and five grandchildren (best part of my career!).
Forty years professional experience in launching plant agbiotech products, including FLAVR SAVR tomato, BXN cotton, Laurate canola, virus resistant zucchini and SONOVA GLA safflower oil.
- Food Additive Regulation at FDA for SONOVA GLA safflower oil (omega-6-fatty acid) as an ingredient in dog food
- Completion of FDA approval for stress-tolerant, genetically engineered soybean
- Food Additive Regulation at FDA for meal from gamma linolenic acid safflower grain
- GRAS status for GLA safflower oil for medical foods and nutritional beverages
- Early Food Safety Evaluation at FDA for genetically engineered AlaAT and HAHB4 proteins
- Published key book on regulatory approval for world’s first plant biotech product
- First approvals of plant biotech Natural Health Product with Health Canada
- Turned around Seminis’ variety registration program in the EU
- Created Seminis’ biotechnology strategy and commercialization plans
- Developed tree tissue culture and somatic embryogenesis systems at Plant Genetics, Inc., in cooperation with Weyerhaeuser Company and with Crown Zellerbach
- Frequent invited worldwide speaker and expert on regulatory affairs and plant cell biology
- Over 175 invited lectures and publications
- Numerous positions at SIVB/TCA including Executive Board Member, Council Member, Plant Division Chair, Associate Editor of In Vitro Plants, and fundraiser
- Board of Directors and Chairman & Vice Chair (Biotechnology Committee), American Seed Trade Association
- Founder and driver of the public-private Specialty Crop Regulatory Assistance
- USDA Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES) special recognition and Certificate of Merit for creation of the Specialty Crops Regulatory Initiative
- Local church board member (chairman) and teacher
- Invented and held eight patents on artificial seeds and encapsulation technology
- Studied under Dr. Kenneth Thimann (University of California, Santa Cruz), Dr. Robert Westfall (SUNY ESF) and Nobel Laurate Melvin Calvin (UC Berkeley)