Students – We Need You!
Students who plan to attend the 2008 SIVB meetings and present posters or talks should apply for one of the SIVB travel grants. See the SIVB website for more information: http://www.sivb.org/mem_studentAffairs.asp.
Students who need specific plant tissue culture training should apply for the Philip White Award. If you need help finding a host lab, please contact Carol Stiff at email@example.com
Philip White Memorial Award
GUIDELINES FOR COMMITTEE
- The Philip White Memorial Award is a study award made in honor of Dr. Philip R. White, an eminent pioneer, teacher and researcher in plant cell and tissue culture techniques.
- The fund is to be used to supplement expenses for a student to further study plant tissue culture by acquiring specialized training in a plant-tissue-culture related technique not available at his/her home institution, by traveling to another laboratory. A stipend of up to $650 is awarded yearly for travel to, and training at, an institution of the awardee’s choice. It should not be used to supplement living expenses at a home institution.
- The award can be used to supplement other awards or scholarships, provided such other awards are not total payment for training.
- It must be used for direct training in a technique that involves plant tissue culture.
- Applicants for the award must substantiate that the training will extend their ability to perform research and/or development in a field which requires plant tissue culture. Applicants must be able to demonstrate interest and scholastic achievement,.
- Please note that this is not restricted to U.S. residents.
Applicants need to provide via email:
- A statement of objectives and past training
- Type of training they will receive and where
- A letter from the volunteer trainer indicating that they will agree to train the person in specific tissue culture techniques at a specific site and a specific time period
- A list of funds needed for travel to the training site (airfare, hotels, meals, etc.)
Letters of recommendation from two sources who are familiar with the applicants prior training and can substantiate that the applicant is a student
All materials should be emailed or faxed (1-608-868-2851) to the chairman of the Philip White Committee by March 1. The current chairman is Carol Stiff, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipients of the award will be notified prior to the SIVB annual meeting in June.
Information supplied by Carol M. Stiff, Philip White Award Committee Chair